2Co 6:1-2;; Joh 16:7-11; 1Cor 15:3; Isa 53:5-6; Heb 10:11-14; 1Pe 2:24; Isa 6:1-7
ROMANS-156-101014 - length: 59:06 - taught on Oct, 14 2010
October 14, 2010
The Doctrine of Spiritual Gifts
Point 2. The Giver of the Gifts: The Person and Work of God the Holy Spirit.
The Doctrine of Efficacious Grace
This is when God the Holy Spirit takes the faith alone in Christ alone of the spiritually dead unbeliever and makes it effective for salvation.
1. The ministry of efficacious grace is necessary because of real spiritual death.
2. The person in the status of real spiritual death is able to believe in Christ. God has provided that open door.
3. Here are the three works that God performs to provide salvation to individuals. [Common Grace, Call of God, Efficacious Grace].
God in His mercy has provided the open door to the spiritually dead unbeliever to exercise faith in Jesus Christ, JOH 10:9.
1. He cannot understand what is heard in the Gospel.
2. His faith has no power or ability associated with it. It is ineffective. It is the faith of a spiritually dead person.
1. He makes a decision to listen to the Gospel. This is a totally non-meritorious decision so it is compatible with God’s grace policy.
2. The volition of the spiritually dead person can respond positively to the Gospel once the Holy Spirit makes it understandable to him. That faith by itself is ineffective however.
1. The unbeliever decides to listen to the Gospel.
2. God the Holy Spirit makes the Gospel clear, understandable, and compelling to the unbeliever.
3. God the Father invites the unbeliever to believe in Christ. (don’t confuse this with election)
4. The spiritually dead person believes in Christ.
5. God the Holy Spirit makes the helpless, useless, inoperative faith of the spiritually dead person and makes it effective for eternal salvation.
1. Common Grace = the ministry of God the Holy Spirit in making the Gospel clear, understandable and compelling to the unbeliever.
2. The Call of God = the invitation of God the Father to believe in Christ.
3. Efficacious Grace = the work or ministry of the Holy Spirit in making the faith in Jesus Christ of the spiritually dead person effective for eternal salvation.
1. Common Grace
2. The Call of God
3. Efficacious Grace
Believe in Christ, and you will be credited with the perfect righteousness of God.
Persist in your unbelief, and you will join satan in judgment.
to confute, admonish:
convict, convince, tell a fault, rebuke, reprove.
by conviction to bring to light, to expose:
To bring a person to the point of recognizing an error - to convince, to point something out to someone for the purpose of enabling them to change their mind about it.
There are three areas of evangelism in which the omnipotence of the Holy Spirit functions in common grace: sin, righteousness, and judgment.