Galatians - Week 2
STUDYGUIDE-88-170119 - length: 60:00 - taught on Jan, 19 2017
Galatians - Week 2
Informal Bible Study
Thursday January 18, 2017
- Questions on any recent blogs?
- Be completed by the Spirit (Ephesians)
- The world
- Who are the assemblies in Revelation 2 & 3?
- Handouts: CARM, 3 documents on Roman Catholicism
- Resources for our study of the letter to the Galatians
- The text we will use for our method: "Falling in Love with God’s Word" by Keith Ferrin. I would like everyone to get a copy of this book. It’s on Amazon, as well as the author’s website.
- Handout: “New Testament Study Aids”
- Foundational Reading
- Handout: pages 40-50 of the Ferrin text
- Questions about the Ferrin chapter
- Galatians discussion
- What was it like to read Galatians 4 times this week?
- Did you start to notice new things when you read Galatians a 2nd time? 3rd time? 4th time? What things?
- What did you notice about reading Galatians with different perspectives, ie
- for your own enjoyment
- as if you were Paul writing the letter
- OUT LOUD!
- if you were one of the members of the churches in Galatia when this letter was read for the first time
- Background Study
- For one of your readings through Galatians next week, do the following:
- Take a piece of paper and make 2 columns.
- Label the first column “People” and the second column “Places”
- As you read Galatians, write down the names of every person you find (ie. “Cephas”) and every place that is mentioned (ie, “Jerusalem”). Be sure to bring the list with you next Thursday.
- Next week we will continue learning more about how to do a Background Study of a book of the Bible
- Assignment: read the letter to the Galatians in its entirety 5 times between now and next Thursday. Suggested approach:
- This time you can listen to the book on audio if you wish
- Read Galatians one time using a different translation
- Otherwise, use the same physical Bible every time.
- When you finish reading Galatians 5 more times (that’s 9 times in total), write a brief summary of what the overall message of Galatians is. Brief = 2 or 3 sentences.
- Group prayer session