Act 20:17,28; 1Tim 5:17; Act 14:23; 1Thes 5:12-13;Eph 1:22-23;Heb 13:7,17;1Pe 5:1-5.
ROMANS-472-130109 - length: 56:00 - taught on Jan, 9 2013
The Doctrine of Spiritual Gifts
Setting the scene for Paul’s teaching on the Spiritual Gifts.
The Giver of the Gifts: The Person and Work of God the Holy Spirit
What is a “Spiritual Gift”?
Similar but different: things sometimes confused with spiritual gifts
Offices in the church
pastor or elder in a church
spiritual gift of Pastor-Teacher
Office of deacon
spiritual gift of helps or administration
The Biblical offices of the local churches include the Lord Jesus Christ as the head, the elders or pastors, the deacons, and the priests.
There is a difference between the office of elder/overseer/pastor and the spiritual gift of Pastor-Teacher.
Pastor-Teachers equip the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ.
EPH 4:11 has no reference to:
any set of criteria to be used in selecting Pastor-Teachers
a local assembly
to tend as a shepherd of;
to lead, with the implication of providing for.
to feed, to tend a flock, keep sheep;
to rule, govern.
It is derived from the root word
which is the Greek word for ‘pastors’ in EPH 4:11.
On the other hand, the Lord has delegated authority in the local assembly to the elders (overseers, pastors).
1. Pastor-Teachers are men with communication gifts given by Christ to equip, build up and edify the Royal Family.
2. The offices in the local assembly are priest (all members), deacon, and elder (overseer, pastor).
3. Elders must be able to teach and to rule. So, ideally, elders should have the spiritual gift of Pastor-Teacher.
4. The number of elders in a congregation is subject to the sovereignty of the Holy Spirit and the discernment of the existing leadership.
5. The authority that is emphasized for the church is Christ, the Head of the Body. Authority is also delegated to the elders (pastors) to rule or govern the local assembly.
The office of deacon is not a spiritual gift. There are several spiritual gifts that are well suited for the man who holds the office of deacon.